Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

talk, teach and inspire

       Yesterday I was in the shop alone in the afternoon. I have a big front window and that is where I keep my sewing machine and other 'good stuff' to create costumes, hats, whatever. I play old movies on the television all day. These movies inspire me, remind me how far we have come as women....

Yesterday was unusually slow, and so I sat and listened to movies and I was making a fascinator. I had already surged and shaped the sinamay and now I was twisting it to form a shape. I was frustrated and I'm sure if anyone walked in at that moment they would have heard a barrage of ()*&(&%*^%$$&$%*()()(_)$#@%@@! coming from me.  But a little crowd started to form outside my window. First 3 kids, then 5 and then more. They were all about 12-16 years old. I didn't look up, I just thought they wanted a photo with Marilyn outside. But no, they were watching what I was doing. They were probably looking at my contorted face too. But at that moment, I felt so much grace. I hoped that out of that little pod of kids, I made some kind of impression on one. Maybe that will be the one to go on to do something in millinery or fashion. I motioned for them to come in, but they were content to watch me from  outside and drink their sodas. ( I don't allow sodas in my shop)  I was blessed in that moment. To be a mentor, to be an inspiration, to be an idea, is a blessing. In this day and age, we see kids absorbed in their cell phones and we think they are not watching, but they are. They are taking it allllllllll in...and storing it in the databases of their minds. So, if you have a minute, and they are watching, take the time. Inspire a child, talk to them. You never know if YOU will be the one to make a total difference in their lives........

Tiger Woods....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQvEoihC4MQ

Cate Blanchett


Katy Perry





Rose Ellen Moore
www.rcmooreunique.com




No comments:

Post a Comment