Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Reality.................

As I was driving to work yesterday, Thursday, March 5, I was in the midst of a huge snow storm. My husband had driven the truck to work in Philadelphia, and I was driving a small, (very small) rented car so that I could drive 15 minutes to work.

As I was driving, I wondered who in the world was going to come to the shop today in the middle of a snowstorm. But, since all my materials for making new hats, costumes, etc was at the shop, I decided to go in to do some work and watch old movies. I had my food with me, my chai tea, and I prepared to have a relaxing day in my shop.

As I was driving, an oil truck was struggling to get up the hill. I stayed back about 3 car lengths, just in case I had to go around him. All of a sudden, I noticed his trailer starting to slide over to the right. I don't know what the driver was thinking, but then I noticed the front of his truck was turned to the left and swinging around. I think he was either attempting to turn around (in the middle of the street) or try to gain control of the trailer that was sliding down hill TOWARD ME!  I started to back up, but there were cars behind me. It was snowing badly. All of a sudden I saw the front of his truck coming straight at the side of my car. There was nowhere for me to go. I couldn't turn right, there was a snow bank and I couldn't go left, the truck was there. I couldn't back up, there were cars behind me. I started to blow the horn, I was yelling STOP! STOP! The driver of the truck was staring at me with a look of desperation.  I closed my eyes and waited for impact and thought...I'm not ready. I'm not ready to go....I'm not ready to leave my husband. He stopped about a foot from my car.

The driver got out to see if I was ok. He apologized...he was a mess and so was I. All the cars behind me backed down the hill...and I did also, enough to get out of the way and wait for the truck to move and I went up the hill around the truck.

It was an eye opening experience for me. In a split second our life can change drastically. We can become a cripple, or dead in the blink of an eye. My whole day, I thought.....I almost wasn't here. I almost didn't get to unlock this door. If he would have hit me, I would not be able to make this hat today. All day yesterday I was grateful.....I was grateful for placing one sequin on one dress. For tying a belt, or zipping a dress.

Later that night when my husband came home, the kiss he gave me was so appreciated. It tasted so good. All of a sudden I noticed his soft lips, his beard stubble, his beautiful eyebrows...the shape of his nose. I was so grateful. Maybe this was what I needed. My chai tea smells better, I appreciate my full body, my big ass, and my age. I am happy for every wrinkle on my face. It is still here to smile, and to welcome one more day........................................

Be grateful................................................


Rose Ellen A Moore
RCMoore for the Unique Millinery and Vintage
www.rcmooreunique.com



No comments:

Post a Comment