Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Why do people have to be so mean?

Yesterday I wore a very cool outfit.......I thought.  So I went to the fabric store because I needed some black satin for the fashion show that I am sewing for. When I walked in  (and this was about the 5th time I've been there) I noticed that the sales woman and another woman were conversing. I walk in the door and in my very Italian way....said.."HELLO!" to which they did not respond and looked at me like I had 4 heads. I was a little surprised, but went on about my business.

As I looked through the fabric, I could feel their eyes on me. Their voices lowered to a whisper. I have been in this position before...not a problem.  I started putting my bolts on the counter to be cut....
The customer said, "your touching my things"....I voiced my apologies.  The saleswoman did not ask if I needed help...I struggled to get 2 large bolts of 50 yards of black satin to the counter. I was in a dress, heels, and I had a large handbag.  I was purchasing 154 yards of fabric that day. When I was finished I went to the counter to check out. The saleswoman who was in an ill fitting dress, and flip flops was rude. Plain and simple. I said to her, "do you remember me? I am from the vintage, millinery down the road" and she said, 'yes'.  The other woman (customer) felt that it was time to  address me, ...."do you always dress like this?"  I said..."yes".... and I went on about my business. At no time would I allow them to ruffle my feathers. Funny, I was wearing feathers on my head!

So sad, in our culture, that we find it OK to down another woman.....I have said many times that I hate pajama pants in public. But just recently I saw a woman in pajama pants walking in front of my store...struggling with 2 small children, packages and an umbrella....I was there once. Should I go out and give her a fashion lesson? I'm sure that's the last thing on her list as she tries to juggle all of her responsibilities.  We as a human race and more importantly as WOMEN need to understand the needs of other women. We need to allow everyone to be themselves. Who made ANYONE judge and jury?

As I finished my purchases and was ready to leave, I asked the saleswoman if anyone could take these out to my car. She promptly said, 'NO'...what a surprise. I struggled to get all the fabric to the front door and went out to get my car. As I was starting to load the car, a young man of about 16 asked if I needed help. Yes, the youth that most of us see with pants hanging and foul mouth. But this young man.....on his skateboard.....giant afro.......funky clothes.......asked if he could help me. I so happily said yes.....and he did it for no compensation. I gave him one of my cards, and told him he gets a free gift when he comes in my store. I'll remember him.....  I'll remember those women too.  The women who looked down their nose at me for my way of dressing...........Just remember this ladies....the farther you look down your nose, is the farther you fall one day..............peace...out!


Rose Ellen Moore
www.rcmooreunique.com

RCMoore for the Unique Millinery and Vintage shop
1729 W Tilghman Street
Allentown PA 18104
610-740-3820


No comments:

Post a Comment