Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Accentuate the Positive

On May 21st it will be my 53rd birthday.......... I won't lie about my age. I'm feeling pretty awesome that I got this far. But what I'm noticing is that there are struggles on a daily basis for things that used to come easy. Some of them are physical and some of them are emotional.

When I was a young girl of maybe 18 years old, I struggled with an eating disorder. I never ate, and when I did it was not nutritious, and if I ate something healthy and full of calories that were important to my body, I punished myself by not eating for days afterward. I never told anyone in my family, I just quietly didn't eat. My mother used to say to my dad, 'look Alex, she eats like a bird. '  I did....and I was proud of it for some weird reason. I struggled with self esteem, I wanted to be blonde, I wanted to be skinny and I wanted to be accepted.  When I got older, I struggled in my first marriage. I was miserable and unhappy with an abusive husband. I struggled to then raise my children alone. I struggled between balancing work and home. Every day, was a struggle.
     
Now, I have a beautiful life, but I still have my struggles although they are not as tragic or enormous as my struggles when I was younger. Now I struggle to get up from a kneeling position. I struggle to focus when I thread my needle on the sewing machine. I struggle to maintain self confidence in an aging body.  Even though I have my small struggles, I realize that they are not life threatening and I am grateful. It is hard to be negative when you are thanking God for all the blessings that you have. There is an old song from way back when, and the words are, " accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative......" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUmAbi0Vm4 )  I don't have time any more to focus on anything that isn't bringing joy to my life. In order to be happy, you need to focus on all the things that you have, instead of all the things that you WANT. Suddenly you realize that you have alot of things. Are you saying, 'she's nuts! I can't see! I can't walk! I can't I can't.......'   true, maybe you can't do some things, but I'm sure you can do SOME thing....so be thankful for speaking, if you can't see. Be thankful for singing if you can't walk.....focus on the wonderful things about yourself.  Start the morning with a prayer of thanks...and suddenly you realize how small your struggles are...........
  1. AC-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
  2. You've got to accentuate the positive
    Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    Don't mess with Mister In-Between
    You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
    Bring gloom down to the minimum
    Have faith or pandemonium
    Liable to walk upon the scene
    To illustrate his last remark
    Jonah in the whale, Noah in the ark
    What did they do
    Just when everything looked so dark
    Man, they said we better, accentuate the positive
    Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    Don't mess with Mister In-Between
    No, do not mess with Mister In-Between
    Do you hear me?
    Oh, listen to me children and-a you will hear
    About the elininatin' of the negative
    And the accent on the positive
    And gather 'round me children if you're willin'
    And sit tight while I start reviewin'
    The… Full lyrics on Google Play





  3. Rose Ellen Moore
  4. www.rcmooreunique.com
  5. 1729 W Tilghman Street
  6. Allentown, PA 18104
  7. 610-740-3820 
  8. https://www.facebook.com/rc.moore.7

No comments:

Post a Comment